Jazz up ordinary quinoa with this luscious recipe! Rice and peas (rice and beans) are a traditional Caribbean side dish and this is just a higher protein version of that. Great served as a bed for jerk chicken or any other saucy meat, or simply on it’s own! I used red quinoa for this colorful photo but you can substitute regular white quinoa as well. High in fiber, protein and vitamins, this is the perfect dish.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 14 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can coconut milk (regular or light)
- Additional water to bring the coconut milk up to 2 cups
- 1 mango, diced (save a bit for garnish at the end)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch Kosher/sea salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- Green onion for garnish, optional
Add the quinoa, beans, coconut milk, water, mango, garlic and seasoning to a sauce pan.
Bring to a boil over high heat, lower the heat to low and cover, leaving the lid ever so slightly lifted on one side.
Cook for 20 minutes until the liquid is gone and the quinoa is light and fluffy. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Food photography by Audra Mulkern