This is a super easy go-to protein packed dish that not only provides extra vitamins and nutrition but also complexity and balance with lots of vegetables!
I make this recipe with lean beef or bison often but depending on my client’s needs I substitute lean ground turkey, chicken and sometimes even mashed cooked beans or lentils to make it vegetarian.
Serve as a taco or enchilada filling, tostada topping, taco salad filling, in your Mexican inspired lasagna or even on top of some cooked rice/beans/quinoa with shredded cabbage and a little salsa on top for a quick meal. I always double this recipe when I make it at home and morph it into another dish the next day. Try it in my plantain tortillas!
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
- 1 lb lean meat of your choice
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- Any vegetables of your choice – finely chopped tomatoes, shredded carrots or zucchini are great for example
- 2 tsp chili powder (whole ground chili powder, not a blend that has salt or stabilizers in it)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder/granules
- ½ tsp onion powder/granules
- Pinch or two of Kosher/sea salt to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- Fresh cilantro, avocado and additional lime for serving, optional
Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat, when hot add oil, swirl to coat.
Add all of the ingredients except for the lime and garnish, stir and break up the meat with the mixing spoon or a fork. Saute until the meat is cooked, the vegetables are tender and any liquid has cooked off.
Lower the heat to low and squeeze the lime juice over, stir and cook for one more minute. Enjoy!